Monday, March 24, 2014

March 24, 2014 It's Spring Here...Finally!

Hey everyone!

Spring is finally here and I am so excited! Saturday was a B-E-A-UTIFUL 66 degrees. However, today is a little more chilly. More like 30 degrees, but hey it's finally Spring :)

This week has been pretty good. We started off the week with setting up an appointment with Manuela on Tuesday afternoon. However, she had to cancel because a water pipe broke in her house and it started to flood... Sister Hanson and I were beginning to think that we were never going to be able to meet with her! However, a miracle happened and we were able to see her on Wednesday evening after we had our Skype lesson with Femi! Manuela is awesome and has definitely been prepared! She was asking all of the right questions and even had some deeper questions or questions that would be answered in lessons later on. I also found out that she grew up in Yugoslavia (or whatever it is called today) but then moved to Austria. I'm not very good with my geography, but I told her that I had Yugoslavian ancestors and then I discovered that Grandpa Yalovich's family is Serbian and not the kind of Yugoslavian she is ( I can't remember what she said). But, nonetheless, I thought it was cool that she lived in Yugoslavia. Tonight we're teaching her and her kids as a Family Home Evening. 

Sisters Hanson and Davis with Carolyn and Moira, new converts

Like I mentioned before, we had a couple of lessons this week with Femi and he is still set for his baptism on the 6th of April! He is progressing very well and understands everything we teach him. He is willing to keep the commandments that we have been teaching him. He is awesome! Also, the members that allow us to teach Femi in their home bought Femi a quad [set of scriptures] and mini hymn book and had his name engraved on it! How awesome is that! Femi loved it.

Also this week we were trying to contact a potential investigator name Okasha. The description said that Okasha loves the missionaries and loves to cook for them. So, we decided that we would go try  to contact Okasha. Sister Hanson and I assumed that Okasha was a girl for some reason and were surprised to find out that Okasha is a guy. He invited us in and told us that we would need to come back another time when he wasn't busy but that he would make us food. We went back on Friday evening, but not to get food, just to see him and his wife. We found out that they are from Algeria and practicing their Islamic faith. They said that they listened to the missionaries in the past, but that it was threatening to them to change their religion. They were still really nice, though, and offered to make us food again sometime. (I wanted to throw this story in there because I think it is so cool how many people I have run into in this area that come from different walks of life and nationalities!)

Sister Hanson, Sister Anderson (mission president's wife), Sister Davis
and Moira at Stake Conference



This weekend we had stake conference in Broomall. It was really good and focused on Hastening the Work as well as changing and becoming like Christ. Elder Robins from the Quorum of the Seventy spoke and he was amazing! At the adult session on Saturday he talked about the idea of making first connections with people to do missionary work than to make first contact with them. When we make first connections with them we are more likely to teach them and not just a lesson and show them how the gospel can help them and pertain to them. (What Preach My Gospel is all about.) I thought this was so great!

Hump day celebrated by both Sister Hanson and Sister Davis
on March 23. They're halfway there!


That's about all I can remember for this week. I'm so excited for General Conference coming up in a couple of weeks! 

I hope you all have a fantastic week!

Love,
Sister Davis :)

No comments:

Post a Comment