Monday, August 26, 2013

August 26, 2013 Where Has the Summer Gone?

Hey family!
 
How is everyone? I cannot believe that it is almost September! Where has the time/summer gone? Soon I'll hit my three month mark!
 
On Tuesday we met with David. I invited him to pray and ask Heavenly Father for a date to be baptized. Surprisingly, David said he would without making any excuses. We received a call from him on Wednesday saying that he wanted to call things off for a while, but he still wants to keep in contact. He told us that there have been some things that have been bothering him for about a month that he's put on the back burner, but now they've come up again. We're not really sure what these things are, but we're hoping that we can sit down and just talk with him about it one day and maybe just talk as friends.
 
Sebastian and Ava are progressing and doing great--still super excited to be baptized. Sebastian came to church yesterday, but Ava was at her dad's this weekend, so she was unable to come. Brother Luce (their grandpa) said she was upset that she couldn't come, though. We're going to try to set a baptismal date with them for September 21st, just to give us time to teach all of the lessons and to get permission from their dad. 

Also this week we met with Dan at the Prince's home. I think I told you a little bit about him and when we met with him last week, right? Well, anyway, Dan is a really cool guy that is interested in religion and interested to see what we believe. Last week when we met with him, we asked him to write down some questions that he has. This week he asked us how we deal with crisis. Sister Jensen pulled out the gospel nails to explain how we do this. (The gospel nails is an object lesson showing how we can put all of our trials on Jesus Christ. There is a nail mounted in a bottle cap and there are six other nails. The one mounted nail represents Jesus Christ and the other six represent trials. The goal is to put all six nails on top of the one mounted without touching the table or the bottle cap. Those six nails then turn into "tools" that consist of the Atonement, faith, repentance, baptism, the gift of the Holy Ghost, and enduring to the end.) So by showing Dan the gospel nails we were able to explain that we can put our trials onto Christ by utilizing the Atonement in our life. He said he liked that and agreed with everything we said. We went over and saw him last night and he said we could meet with him again sometime this week!
 
Thursday I had my first real experience with tracting. Our plans didn't quite take up all of the time that we had before we needed to be to our dinner appointment, so we ended up tracting. At the first house we went to, an Italian guy named Vinni opened the door. Sister Jensen told him we were sharing messages about how we can strengthen the family. He then responded that he used to be Catholic but is no longer practicing. I then asked him if he still had a belief in Jesus Christ and he said yes. I then told him that Christ is what our message is centered on and that's how we can strengthen our families. We asked him if we could come back some time to teach him more and he said yes! At all of the other houses we went to, no one was home or interested, but Vinni made it worth it! 

Saturday morning we helped two families in the ward move. Yesterday, I spoke in church. I was asked to talk on how the temple has blessed my life. I've decided that writing a talk for church as a missionary is hard! I don't have time to just sit at a computer all day and I don't have a lot of resources to look at. I'm very grateful, though, that you sent me those temple magazines. That magazine saved me! Everyone said I did a good job, but I think I could have given a better talk...
 
After church we met with Janice and Tim. We taught them the Plan of Salvation. After we got to the three kingdoms of glory part, Janice got really quiet. We're not sure if we offended her or if she felt something and was taken by surprise. She said we could come back next week though so we're thinking we didn't offend her. Afterwards we rushed to teach Emilio. He first wanted to ask some questions about the book I gave him, "Our Search for Happiness", and then we went into the Plan of Salvation with him too. He seemed to like it and he thought the cut-out of the Plan of Salvation was really cool. Emilio is still trying to get over his "cliff" of coming to church though. Hopefully, next week he will come! Sister Lowe came with us and she invited him and his family over for dinner. He said he liked that idea a lot! Hopefully he'll come! After Emilio we rushed to see Robbyn. We hadn't seen Robbyn for about a month, so we started off just visiting with her and seeing how life was. We then taught her the Plan of Salvation too! (It was a day for the Plan of Salvation.)  Yesterday was a crazy, busy day, though.
 
Mom, for transfers, we receive a call on Saturday night telling us if we are staying or if we are being transferred. On Tuesday we go to the Mission Office/Stake Center to the transfer meeting to find out where we are being transferred to. I'm glad to hear that my blog is getting looked at! :) Thank you for creating it and updating it!
 
Well, that's all I can really think of for right now. I hope you are all doing well! I love you all very much! Thank you so much for your love and support! I appreciate it!
 
Love,


Sister Davis :)

No comments:

Post a Comment